Vi Enables its International Travelers Build Unlimited Memories with the
Air India Minimizes Single Use Plastic by ~80% on board all flights
Gurugram, 22 April 2023: In preparation for Earth Day, Air India today announced having minimised single-use plastic usage by approximately 80% on board all flights across its worldwide network.
The reduction has been achieved since the privatisation of Air India in an ongoing effort led by a team of in-house experts and supported by catering partners and multiple vendors, with the aim of continually minimising the carrier’s environmental impact.
Air India’s effort in the direction includes several initiatives as listed below.
· 100% removal of 500ml plastic water bottles from all Economy Class seat pockets on widebody aircraft operating international flights
· Significant reduction in the bulk uplift of 200ml water bottles on international as well as domestic flights; now only served on pre-set meal trays
· Introduction of water pour service from 1 litre water bottles during flight
· Replacement of plastic zip lock bags for cutlery with paper packaging
· Replacement of plastic straws with paper straws
· Replacement of plastic stirrers with wooden ones
· Introduction of reusable linen bags on board
· Introduction of 100% compostable PET lids and primary-use plastic bags
· Introduction of 100% compostable waste bags
The airline is working towards introducing paper cutlery for Economy Class guests soon, apart from pursuing multiple other opportunities that would further reduce the usage of single-use plastic.
Air India continues to integrate environmental and social principles in its businesses in its goal of becoming one of the world’s most environmentally sensitive organisations.